Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Suicide Squad # 8 (1987) unused Luke McDonnell cover art

Just by chance I stumbled across this on ebay. It was going for $600 here's the corresponding information:

You are bidding on the original one of a kind cover artwork to Suicide Squad #8. Published in 1987 by DC Comics. Pencils and inks by Luke McDonnell (Iron Man, JLA). The published version was done by Jerry Bingham but it is incredibly similar to this one. My guess is that this was the original cover and when the editors wanted changes made they probably had Bingham do it due to deadlines. Art done on standard sized artboard with no major condition issues to note. Signed by McDonnell at the bottom in black sharpie.

Need a quick reminder of what the actually published cover looked like?
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Suicide_Squad_Vol_1_8

By the way at the same time I saw the 2001 Kieth Giffen Suicide Squad cancelled after 12 issues series all for just $10 so I figured what the Hell why not? It just showed up at my door step yesterday I'll have a review posted in just a few days. 

6 comments:

  1. Jerry Bingham was never known for nailing deadlines. More likely, the book wasn't going gangbusters, and McDonnell was never a great cover artist, so they brought in Bingham to help juice sales. I do like this piece, though.


    I'm looking forward to your take on the Giffen series. It's widely hated by Ostrander fans, but I liked it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well i can tell you Frank that it was never McDonnell's art work that had reading the Suicide Squad. it was all about the stories and characters. thanks for the insight on the cover art matter i had no idea about that. i'm on #2 of the Giffen series as of now but so far the outlook on my impending review isn't looking too great but there's still 10 issues to go.

      Delete
    2. This was a cool find and the Bingham cover is in my top ten SS covers from Ostranders run. Shlomo I think your in for a slow painful ride but we throw away 10 dollars at McDonalds every other day so what the hell.

      Now for McDonnell's art work you are right but somehow it just felt right. It was sort of a mood in itself. As far as comics and nostalgia is concerned, Ostrander and McDonnell is only trumped by Chris Claremont and John Byrne's Uncanny X-Men.

      Delete
    3. I agree Omega Agent!
      I like the original cover very much, but also this one that as a real SS feel.

      Delete
  2. thanks for the comments guys. i don't think there's a major difference between the two but i like the Bingham one a bit better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, I could never find many Suicide Squad pages from the first 2-3 years. ANY era, really, is super rare to find.

    Also, I thought you might like this fan comic I made: http://michelfiffe.com/?p=2674

    ReplyDelete