Thursday, January 17, 2013

You're not afraid of the dark are you?


I'm hesitant to call this sketch art because it has a very finished look to it. However you want to characterize it this is pretty damn awesome fan art by however the unknown artist is. It's pretty much what I would consider to be a perfect drawing and I like the whole "bad ass ninja" like quality to Nightshade in it. Yet another under rated character from the old DCU that we have yet to see in the relaunch.


Left click to enlarge
 Well I just recently discovered that this 5 issue Hawk & Dove mini-series (1997-1998) featured both the Suicide Squad and Checkmate as a running story line through out the series. I gotta say I did an internet search to see what kind of information and art work I could dig up on it and none of the covers looked even remotely familiar to me as anything I may have seen before.
I did an ebay search and saw that the complete set had just sold for only $8 total with shipping and handling. Damn! that's not much more then I would have paid finding them all in $1 bins at the same time and what are the odds of that? Oh well, ya never know what the future holds I tend to get lucky with these sort of things. But in the mean time here's some links to some of the pages from the mini-series:

  http://www.comicartfans.com/sketchbookPiece.asp?Piece=618474
 http://www.comicartfans.com/sketchbookPiece.asp?Piece=618473
 http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=663439&GSub=101906

January 18 update: Hawk & Dove #4 review with plenty of clip art available here: http://thebronzetiger.blogspot.com/2013/01/checkmate-vs-suicide-squad.html

5 comments:

  1. I didn't get to read the whole mini series, but I picked up the ones with the Squad. The art work was nice and the crew had some nice panels. It was worth those 8 bucks.

    Nightshade is a member of Justice League Dark, her, Black Orchid and the Enchantress are all there. The art work is amazing and I hear the writing is good.

    I just refuse to buy the book, I'm doing a Shlomo move. It doesn't revolve around what I want. Really I wouldn't mind a witch hunter coming in and do some regulating.

    And thankx for coming thru over at my spot, I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no shit about Nightshade in Justice League Dark? i'll have to at least take a look at it thanks for the heads up. as for Hawk & Dove which issues of that 5 run mini-series had the Squad other then #4? that would be cool if you could do a future posting of them.

      Delete
    2. Will do. And I think I'm going to pick up an issue of Justice League Dark too so we can talk about it.

      Delete
    3. damn, now i want to swning by a comic shop tonight but i really don't have time. at any rate OA1 cool, i suspect i want be the only Suciide Squad fan out there on the look out for that before mentioned future posting of yours. it's all on you bro . . all . . on . . you.

      Delete
    4. I been looking thru my books, I found #4 so I'm going to do a quick post up. For the Squad to only be featured they had a lot of face time.

      It's kinda what you want to see from our guys even if it's not the quote on quote--A Team. I'm working on it now so I'll be back in a minute.

      Delete