Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Justice League Doom, now that's what I call a cat fight!


So this is the latest DC animated video which I recently picked up. I found it for $10 at music/video store out here that's full of discounted used DVDs and CDs among other things. I thought this was pretty good but a bit short of being great and as of yet I'm not sure where I would rank it in comparison to other stuff I've seen and bought recently like Batman: Under The Red Hood or Justice League: Flash Point Paradox. Truth be told I wish I hadn't watched so much of it on Youtube before, I probably would have enjoyed it a bit more had I not. So for those of you who don't have the DVD most of the best stuff in it can be seen on Youtube. Hands down my favor part of the movie were the battles between Cheetah and Wonder Woman. The animation was superb as were the sound effects and I absolutely loved Claudia Black (from Farscape) as the voice actor for Cheetah. And of course I'm up for watching just about anything in which Nathan Fillion is doing the voice of Green Lantern plus Cyborg as a character really shined in the story line as well. Nothing worth mentioning as far as the DVD's "special features" unfortunately.


Speaking of Wonder Woman, I love Linda Carter more then ever after having read this quote from her recently "You look at any society that suppresses women, and it’s violent."


 I tell ya, when it comes to some of the assholes on face book this sums it up for me. 

11 comments:

  1. That's how I felt about Doom, too. It was fun, but not as great as some of the others. I'm down for Claudia Black doing the voice of anything. She turns up in lots of voice over work, not just in cartoons, but some of my favorite video games. I just killed a big old lust demon in Diablo III that was voiced by her, and I felt truly conflicted by it. But knowing that I'll see her again as Morrigan in Dragon Age: Inquisition took the sting out a bit. I don't think she can ever get enough work. Acting, voice or otherwise, she's just that dynamic.
    Speaking of dynamic, I saw that quote over on Dan's page and it really made sense to me. Anytime you see a society that actively represses that much of its population, and then blames the repressed for the repression, you know there's something hinky about the morality of the society.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, it made me think about Justice League: A New Frontier, when Wonder Woman liberated the women and then let them loose on their captors.

      Delete
    2. yeah well as you know i happen to have some familiarity with certain regions in the world where demeaning woman is pretty much status quo. to no surprise those some regions contain countries that happen to be the most socially and politically volatile and the worst in terms of religious extremism in the world. indeed we sure could use a real life Wonder Woman but i'll settle for a real life Jack Bauer.

      Delete
  2. Still haven't seen that Doom movie but I get the gist of it. It's basically the movie version/sorta adaptation of The Tower of Babel story, except not as good, and minus certain key scenes and characters.

    That region, hell this one too, could all use a real life Jack Bauer. Hell I'll settle for McGuyver!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. McGuyver is Jack Bauer without a cell phone or a gun. And he still managed to win.

      Delete
  3. Wonder Woman and the Cheetah, world class match up. The movie was OK but like Dale I expected more, MUCH more and they didn't deliver. Kinda similar to comics these dayz. So much of the mediums I like have been really bland. But hold up mortals and miscreants there is a Wonder Woman in the building. Janelle Monae. She's the real deal people. Dale should do an album review, Random should check out Sir Greendown and for my revolutionary partner Shlomo, cold war.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I've heard her before. Not that song (Which I loved, by the way, thank you) but one called BaBopByeYa. She's got an excellent voice. Very throwback. She actually holds a note.

      Delete
  4. to Dale and Tiger, i'd give Doom a bit more credit then you guys have but we're pretty much on the same page. like i said the best part about the movie was the Cheetah vs Wonder Woman battles but you can see em all on Youtube.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah I gave this DVD a wide birth, some arcs you just know aren't going to take to well to dvd. The Wonder Woman animated DVD though - hell, now that is some wicked animation right there, and like spirit of truth the non-flying version of Wonder Woman is used. Cheetah even gets a lick in too.

    Nathan Fillion as Green Lantern in a real-life film would be awesome sauce.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the Wonder Woman one too. That's another I need to just buy. We keep renting it, and the cost probably adds up to the same.

      Delete
  6. @Random: The Wonder Woman dvd is a must have in the collection. And your right Monae can sing. Video's are dope too.

    @Dan: Fillion / Green Lantern / Awesome sauce

    @Shlomo: Doom was ok, it just didn't do what it should have.

    ReplyDelete